Songs You Know by Heart
Songs You Know by Heart is a story written by Dr. Noh. It ran in Issue 15 at http://s2b2.livejournal.com/90404.html, and is mirrored at http://www.shousetsubangbang.com/mirror/songs-you-know-by-heart/.
From the Slash Pile: "Shouldn’t work at all. The POV character, David, is a jaded, bored man who gets off on rough sex and treats people quite appallingly. The man who breaks into his tired life, Jazz, is a mugger who forces David to blow him after stealing his wallet. Sounds unappealing? You’d be wrong. This is fabulous stuff, with intriguing characterisation and plot, kinky but well-written and not gratuitous sex, and leaves the reader feeling satisfied and with a sense of rightness. A brilliant gem of a story."
David is coming home from a party one night when he gets mugged. Well, more specifically, he gets held up at knife point, since where the hell is he supposed to hide money in his breeches?
David happens to be kind of a slut into rough sex, though, so he offers something else instead. And from there, things can only get worse... right?Not-really-non-con (my favourite kind), lots of hot HOT sex, music, and snark. What more could you need?
This story and its sequels, Music in a Dry Country and Singing in the Wilderness, are available for purchase.
- http://ceanshinythings.livejournal.com/275700.html: "This starts out skeevy and progresses along a fascinatingly complex and beautifully written path to sweet."
- http://demoerin.livejournal.com/26896.html: "That dude is even more deliciously bitchy! .... ALSO HE TAKES IN A STRAY YOUTH thus appealing directly to my happy place. "
- pinboard.in: "The one about David, a rich, yuppie businessman and Jazz, the guy who mugs him. This story does not actually veer into creepiness! There is dub con in the story, but what it's really all about is David and Jazz's oddball kind of romance."
- pinboard.in: "This is fucked up, but uh, really sexy."
- pinboard.in: ""It's not perfect, but its flaws seem to work for it rather than against it." Of all the s2b2 stories I've read (I've read most of them), this one remains at the top. It's got hot mansexing, but at the same time it's driven by a plot that's at times as subtle as a trainwreck or a dust particle in the air. It leaves me reeling every time I read it, which I would say is about once every two months. (8 I LOVE THIS."
- pinboard.in: "this is deeply fucked up in ways that make my pants disturbingly happy (guy gets raped in a park and goes back for more)"